/* Variable definitions ==================== */ body { background:#bca; margin:0; text-align:center; line-height: 1.5em; font: x-small Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Sans-serif; color:#ffffff; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ #outer-wrapper { width:900px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; font: normal normal 100% Arial, sans-serif; } #main-wrap1 { width:600px; float:left; background:#6C82B5 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#ffffff; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ } #main-wrap2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/rails_main.gif") repeat-y left; padding:0; width:600px; } #sidebar-wrap { width:260px; float:right; margin:5px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ } .main .widget { margin-top: 0; margin-right: 4px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 4px; } .main .Blog { margin: 0; } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color: #ffffff; } a:visited { color: #acb56c; } a:hover { color: #acb56c; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ #header-wrapper { background: #476 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin-top:22px; margin-right:0; margin-bottom:0; margin-left:0; padding-top:8px; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:0; padding-left:0; color:#ffffff; } #header { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/bg_hdr_bot.jpg") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } #header h1 { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; line-height:1.2em; font: normal bold 200% Arial, sans-serif; } #header a, #header a:visited { text-decoration:none; color: #ffffff; } #header .description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; line-height:1.5em; font: normal normal 100% Arial, sans-serif; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ h2.date-header { margin-top:0; margin-right:28px; margin-bottom:0; margin-left:43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#cc0000; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #6fa6ff; border-width:1px 0; } .post h3 { margin:0; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #6fa6ff; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding-top:2px; padding-right:14px; padding-bottom:2px; padding-left:29px; color: #ffffff; font: normal bold 135% Arial, sans-serif; } .post h3 a, .post h3 a:visited { text-decoration:none; color: #ffffff; } .post h3 a:hover { background-color: #6fa6ff; color: #ffffff; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #6fa6ff; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#6C82B5; padding-top:10px; padding-right:14px; padding-bottom:1px; padding-left:29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .post-footer { background: #577; margin:0; padding-top:2px; padding-right:14px; padding-bottom:2px; padding-left:29px; border:1px dotted #6fa6ff; border-width:1px; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color: #acb; } .post-footer p { margin: 0; } html>body .post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } .uncustomized-post-template .post-footer { text-align: right; } .uncustomized-post-template .post-author, .uncustomized-post-template .post-timestamp { display: block; float: left; text-align:left; margin-right: 4px; } .post-footer a { color: #fff; } .post-footer a:hover { color: #eee; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/icon_comment_left.gif") no-repeat left 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/icon_comment_left.gif") no-repeat left 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin-top:0; margin-right:0; margin-bottom:5px; margin-left:0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #6fa6ff; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #6fa6ff; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color: #cc0000; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } #blog-pager-newer-link { float: left; margin-left: 13px; } #blog-pager-older-link { float: right; margin-right: 13px; } #blog-pager { text-align: center; } .feed-links { clear: both; line-height: 2.5em; margin-left: 13px; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #6fa6ff; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding-top:20px; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:15px; padding-left:0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding-top:0; padding-right:14px; padding-bottom:2px; padding-left:29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #6fa6ff; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ffffff; } #comments-block { margin-top:0; margin-right:15px; margin-bottom:0; margin-left:9px; } .comment-author { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/icon_comment_left.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding-top:0; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:0; padding-left:20px; font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding-top:0; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:0; padding-left:20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-footer { margin:0 0 .5em; padding-top:0; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:.75em; padding-left:20px; } .comment-footer a:link { color: #ced; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-img { float: left; margin-top: 5px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-left: 0; border: 4px solid #ffffff; } .profile-datablock { margin-top: 0; margin-right: 15px; margin-bottom: .5em; margin-left: 0; padding-top: 8px; } .profile-link { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/icon_profile_left.gif") no-repeat left .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } .profile-textblock { clear: both; margin: 0; } .sidebar .clear, .main .widget .clear { clear: both; } #sidebartop-wrap { background:#f2984c url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0px 0px 15px; padding:0px 0px 10px; color:#ffffff; } #sidebartop-wrap2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding: 10px 0 0; margin:0; border-width:0; } #sidebartop h2 { line-height:1.5em; color:#ffffff; border-bottom: 1px dotted #ffffff; font: normal bold 100% Arial, sans-serif; margin-bottom: 0.5em; } #sidebartop a { color: #ffffff; } #sidebartop a:hover { color: #eeeeee; } #sidebartop a:visited { color: #eeeeee; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ .sidebar .widget { margin:.5em 13px 1.25em; padding:0 0px; } .widget-content { margin-top: 0.5em; } #sidebarbottom-wrap1 { background: #acb56c url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color: #ffffff; } #sidebarbottom-wrap2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 0 8px; } #sidebar { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/rails_side.gif") repeat-y; } #sidebar { color: #ffffff; } #sidebar h2 { color: #ffffff; border-bottom: 1px dotted #ffffff; margin-bottom: 0.5em; } #sidebar a { color: #ffffff; } #sidebar a:hover, #sidebar a:visited { color: #ff8a6f; } .sidebar h2 { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; line-height:1.5em; font:normal bold 100% Arial, sans-serif; } .sidebar ul { list-style:none; margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0; } .sidebar ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding-top:0; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:3px; padding-left:16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #6fa6ff; line-height:1.4em; } .sidebar p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer-wrap1 { clear:both; margin:0 0 10px; padding:15px 0 0; } #footer-wrap2 { background:#447766 urlno-repeat left top; color:#ffffff; } #footer { background:url no-repeat left bottom; padding:8px 15px; } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#ffffff;} #footer .widget-content { margin:0; } /** Page structure tweaks for layout editor wireframe */ body#layout #main-wrap1, body#layout #sidebar-wrap, body#layout #header-wrapper { margin-top: 0; } body#layout #header, body#layout #header-wrapper, body#layout #outer-wrapper { margin-left:0, margin-right: 0; padding: 0; } body#layout #outer-wrapper { width: 730px; } body#layout #footer-wrap1 { padding-top: 0; } -->

6/22/08

The Wasatch Back

For those of you who don't know about the wasatach back, let me explain give you a little background on it. It is a 180.5 mile run from Logan to Park City that you do with a team of 12. Well in about January, Cathy Gilmore asked me if I'd do it with her and I said sure. (What was I thinking!) Mind you, I loved to run before Chad and I got married, but I have not ran more than 5 times in the 8 years we've been married! I thought this will be a good way to get me into something that I enjoyed once upon a time. So I said sure, I'd do it and signed up with a bunch of people from our old ward.

That meant I had to get in shape and get in shape fast! Training became hard with selling a house, ending school, and moving and then unpacking. I did my best, but knew a part of this race was going to be completed by gutting it out.

Our team included Jene Peart, Peter Colasurdo, Kim Tucker, Kim's 2 daughters Kim and Denise and 1 son John, Alison Linnell, Mindy Larsen, I roped Chad into it, and Steve Tucker was going to run and couldn't so he found a friend Ben to run his leg, and Cathy ended up being too crazy, so her sister ran in her place. Our team was divided into 2 vans. Laura, Chad, Denise, Kim the younger, Ben and I were in van 2. We were the second group of runners. Cathy was our driver and she was awesome! Each person in the race runs 3 different legs.

This is Kim and Denise. This is of course before we began running!
This is Chad waiting to run his 1st leg in 95 degree heat. He was awesome though!
This is me on my first leg.
My leg began at Snow Basin. I had a little over 3 mile run up the road to Snow Basin. It was insane and totally harder than anything I imagined. When I trained hills it wasn't in the 90 degree heat. I also had a little time to catch my breath! Not with this hill. It's incline was 5% with not one moment of flatness or leveling off! Because of my inexperience, I didn't know how to do the race. See your team would stop every once in awhile and cheer you on and give you water. The water just made it harder for me... My breathing got messed up (remember I was panting, it was one steep hill!), so I ended up walking in a few spots which disappoints me just a bit. Jene and Mindy taught me at the end for my last leg, just to wear a cold handkerchief around you neck, which I did for leg 3, and did it helped more!

Notice those nice retarded things around my legs? Well I have never had a problem with my knees until 2 weeks before this race. My knees started killing. (I live on Advil now). I bought these to help with me knees. After my first run I felt great and my knee did too!


My second run was at 5 in morning. I ran up to and around Rockport. It was about 5 1/2 miles of beautiulness. The sun was just coming up and I kicked butt! It was awesome! Too bad everyone in my van was asleep and missed it! But on the run, I only wore one retarded knee thing and from the moment I started, my right knee began to hurt (which is opposite of the one that had been giving me fits!). I totally ran through, but started compensating, which by the end of the run, my legs were killing!

So after our van finished our first leg we had from about 8-11 to sleep. We went to East Canyon Lake and tried to rest, but it was impossible. We had one man yelling at everyone and everything because he rented a Yert and no one told him that 7000 runners were coming through. He was quite humorous watch! We ran from 12-6 for our second runs and had from about 7-11 to sleep. We went to South Summit and tried to sleep at the school. I think I got about 1/2 hour of sleep the entire run. For those of you who know me, know that this is killer! And then to have to sit in squishy stinky van for most of the time... what was I thinking?

Chad's last run was 1/2 way up Guardsman Pass. It was 3.6 miles. He ran up the first 1/2 and Ben ran up the 2nd 1/2 in the heat of the day. (I guess things could have been worse, I could have had that run). I don't know honestly whose run was harder, Chad's or Ben's. Chad's first half miles was relatively flat, but he made the same elevation change that Ben had in 4 miles, so needeless to say, they were both awesome!!

Here is Chad thinking, what in the heck did I sign him up for this for? But can I just tell you how proud he made me. He was the best. Running is not his thing, he hardly trained for this. I mean, he's totally in shape and works out all the time, but he detest running distances. He did this all for me. I couldn't have done this without him there. He truly is the best!

Here is my last run. It was 5 miles long, and was supposed to be the easiest, but it was anything but that! By the time it came to be my turn, I could hardly walk my legs were so sore. I totally gutted it out, but I ran the entire time. I got lost on this leg and no one from my team could cheer me on because I was on this long extremely straight rail trail that went on forever! I didn't even know if I was going the right way! By the end, I was in tears it hurt so bad, and I was so proud of myself. Notice the cool handkerchief to cool me off! It totally worked.

So yes, I ran 13 and 1/2 of the toughest miles of my life. One of my top 10 accomplishments in my life. Everyone keeps asking me if I am going to do it again next year. Right now, I can't even hardly wobble to the bathroom and I am so tired my head is spinning. I just don't know. But I am dang proud of everyone on my team and myself. They were so fun to be with and each person did such an incredible job! WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Thanks also to my mom for watching sick kids. Not an easy thing to do!

Goodbye all, I'm going to sleep! I am supposed to have a date at Lagoon on Tuesday, I need to be able to walk by then!

4 comments:

JRome said...

Wow! 13 miles... I think I watched 13 miles worth sitting on a couch one day...

Congratulations!!

JRome said...

Chad,

You're my hero.

Carrie said...

Hey Jill, how is your leg?? You guys rock!

Diana said...

Jill, I'm so proud of you for doing this race. My husband did it in '07. Now that I've started running, this is something I aspire to, but not necessarily next year. My first goal is a sprint triathlon... then I'll think about the Wasatch Back! Way to go, sweetie!